Back pain and arthritis are among the most common health concerns for which people go to see their doctor. Aside from prescribing painkillers to temporarily alleviate the pain, there isn't much else that conventional medicine has to offer.
Naturopathic medicine takes a holistic approach. Here are some naturopathic remedies that may help alleviate symptoms of back pain and arthritis and improve quality of life.
- Exercise regularly. Low-impact exercise, such as swimming or yoga, can help improve flexibility and reduce stiffness in the joints, which may help alleviate back pain and arthritis. Exercise can also help with weight loss. Excess weight is a common cause of arthritis in the knees and low back pain.
- Reduce stress. Low back pain can arise from feeling a lack of support. If you're under a lot of stress, ask for help and take time to relax. Exercise, yoga, meditation, and socializing are great ways to relax.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Eating a balanced diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and omega-3 fatty acids, can help reduce inflammation in the body, contribute to weight loss, and help alleviate arthritis and back pain.
- Try herbal remedies. Certain herbs, such as turmeric, ginger, and willow bark, have anti-inflammatory properties and may help alleviate pain associated with back pain and arthritis.
- Massage and hydrotherapy. Massage and hydrotherapy (applying contrast heat and cold to the affected area) may help alleviate pain and reduce inflammation by improving circulation to the affected area. They also help to relax muscles in the area, which reduces pressure on the nerves and relieves pain.
- Get enough rest. Getting enough sleep and taking time to rest throughout the day can help reduce stress on the body and may help alleviate symptoms of back pain and arthritis.
- Acupuncture is very helpful for pain relief. If your pain medications are no longer working and you need to take stronger and stronger doses, consider trying acupuncture for pain relief. It works!
Chronic back pain and arthritis can severely affect your quality of life. If your pain medications are no longer working, making changes to your diet and lifestyle can help to relieve your pain and greatly improve your quality of life.
Contact me directly with questions or to make an appointment.