Having a chronic condition can severely impact your quality of life. You have to deal with pain, discomfort, and mobility challenges that affect your energy levels, your mood, your sleep, your appetite, and your independence. Conventional medicine can offer pain killers and immunosuppressant drugs as treatment as well as sleeping pills, but little else. Over time, you may need stronger doses of medications to get the same effect. Your condition likely gets worse over time instead of better.
Naturopathic medicine takes a different approach to chronic conditions. It emphasizes prevention, natural remedies, and the body's ability to heal itself. Naturopathic treatments for chronic conditions can include a combination of dietary and lifestyle changes, acupuncture, nutritional supplements, herbal remedies, and physical therapy.
Many chronic conditions are caused by inflammation in the body. Once the inflammation is addressed, the condition subsides and can even resolve. Inflammation can be treated using diet, herbs, supplements, and acupuncture.
Some common chronic conditions that naturopathic medicine can help with include:
- Chronic pain. Naturopathic treatments for chronic pain can include acupuncture, massage therapy, herbal remedies, and dietary changes. Naturopathic doctors may also recommend physical therapy or chiropractic care to help manage pain.
- Digestive disorders. Naturopathic medicine can be very effective in treating digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis. Naturopathic doctors may recommend dietary changes, probiotics, herbal remedies, and other natural therapies to help alleviate symptoms.
- Cardiovascular disease. Naturopathic treatments for cardiovascular disease may include dietary changes, exercise, nutritional supplements, and herbal remedies. Naturopathic doctors may also recommend stress-reduction techniques such as yoga or meditation to help manage the condition.
- Diabetes. Naturopathic medicine is very effective for treating diabetes. Naturopathic doctors may recommend dietary changes, nutritional supplements, and herbal remedies to help regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Autoimmune disorders. Naturopathic treatments for autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple sclerosis may include dietary changes, nutritional supplements, and herbal remedies. Naturopathic doctors may also recommend stress-reduction techniques and other natural therapies to help manage symptoms.
If you have a chronic condition, especially if you have been recently diagnosed, consider seeing a naturopath. A naturopath will help you reduce the inflammation that may be causing your illness, which will give you a better prognosis and improve your quality of life.
Contact me directly with questions or to book an appointment.